Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oulton park, round #7 Buff Supermono Championship













Round #7 of the Buff Supermono Championship arrived at Oulton Park in Cheshire, this picturesque circuit has to be one of the best in the UK. I have only done 12 laps of this circuit before, that was in 2008 but had engine problems in the race. I was really looking forward to getting out there for the Friday qualifying. I thought I was doing well but I was 30 seconds behind the pole sitter and 10 seconds off the next slowest rider. Saturday free practice see my times improve by a second but I was still off the pace, I spoke to few people and asked where I could make up time. I was told that there were 3 or 4 corners where you dont need to brake. So with all this advice swimmimg around in my head the first race started. I got a reasonable star but after a couple of corners I was dead last! On lap 3 the red flags were out due to Mark Lawes having a big off, also Dave Harnet. The restart would be a 5 lap dash, here was my chance to finish a race on the same lap as the winner, and this only just happened, as I crosssed the line the last lap flag was being waved but momentarily after I passed the cheqeured flag was waved for Ivan Porter. When I got the time sheets I was relieved to see that I was the 5th supermono home but better than that I had knocked 6 seconds off my qualifying time..I couldn't wait to get out there for the second race. My last race on Gordon was upon us and again I got a good start but was dead last after a few corners, I was just racing myself at this point and trying to remember the advice I had been given. On lap 5 A couple of bikes lapped me so I just kept out of the way and aimed to bring Gordon home in one piece. I finished the race 6th in the Supermonos but did not improve on my lap times. All in all it was a very good meeting and a fitting way to end my Supermono racing, I will miss riding the singles but as my new bike, Honda CB 500, runs at the same meetings I will still be able to see the Mono crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment