Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Snetterton Buff Supermono round #2


I was really looking forward to racing at my local circuit and arrived early evening on the Friday to set up. Woke Saturaday Morning to heavy rain and a cold wind but I wasn't due out in the practice so there was time for the weather to improve. The first qualifying for the Mono's was at 15:05 so I had plenty of time to check over Gordon. He was running a bit hot at Pembrey so I ensured the radiator was full and bled before going out on the circuit. I dont know if I was concious of the engine running hot but my lap times were down by over 13 seconds from 2 years ago, I just didn't feel comfortable and it seemed like hard work, yet I was sure I was on my usual pace, until I see the time sheets that is! I went home to a comfortable bed and a hot meal Saturday night and arrived early Sunday morning with a positive outlook, I drained Gordons water system and refilled with fresh ionised water, I even changed the rad cap, (Thanks Martin Jarvis). I put the wets on the bike and refuelled and double checked everything. About half hour before qualifying I started Gordon to get him nice and warm, it was then I noticed that the radiator overflow pipe was letting out water. I removed the front fairing and noticed that when the revs increased so the water was coming out more, a classic sign that the head gasket was gone and was pressurising the water system, I took the decision not to chance wrecking the motor anymore and opted not to race.

No comments:

Post a Comment